Friday, March 14, 2008

Seven Things About Me

I've been tagged by the lovely and talented Carolyn at The Crafty Scrapper. I have to list seven things about me. I won't tag anyone because the only four people (lol) that visit my site have already been tagged. haha Ok so here we go-- seven things about me!!

1) I am a bartender. I work at a Cajun chain in the Dallas area and I've worked there for 4 years now. Dream job? Not really. But! I'm very thankful for it. I got promoted to a bartender 3 years ago, which truly is a monetary promotion. This has enabled me to work less, make good money, and still have time for school. I really do feel very lucky to have my job. Guests are total pains, but I guess that's the general public for you! :) lol, just kidding.. sort of! On a serious note, there are many guests that come in just to see "us" or even ME and it brightens my day knowing that every day I work I make someone a little bit happier. And I don't just mean by giving them alcohol! :) Being a bartender is a very social job and 80% of it is talking to your guests. We cheer people up, listen to people's woes, and make general chit chat with people. OH-- and that picture is not how I NORMALLY dress for work, that was on Mardi Gras when we had to dress up! I'm on the bottom row, the red head.


2) I'm currently going to school to be a teacher. I've been going to college full time and part time on and off for EIGHT YEARS. I know, it's totally "Tommy Boy" of me. But much of my college was spent working FULL TIME. My grades suffered taking a full load and working full time and I had to work to pay for school so I went to school part time. Then when I went to a university in Louisiana, I did a lot of the typical college "partying" and of course wasn't the BEST student, not too bad, though! Did a lot of catching up when I moved back to Texas. Now, I'm lucky enough to only have to work 3 days a week, plus I get grants for my school. I am hoping to teach here in the DFW area in the next couple of years.

3) My little pride and joy is my dog, Peggy. I miss her so much! She has been staying at my mom's for nearly a year for various reasons, but I'm hoping to bring her back to mommy soon. Peggy is 4 years old (as of March 13, actually!) and she is a Pekingese. We bought her at a rescue shop in Six Flags mall when she was a puppy. She was born with a birth defect in her back right leg causing her to not be able to bend her knee. When she walked, she looked like she had a peg leg... so we named her Peggy! As she's gotten older, she's gotten better with it. But you should see her when she pees, her left leg squats and her right leg kicks forward. It looks like she's doing the splits. haha When she was 2 (right when she turned two), she had bad back problems. My mom was babysitting her one night, and she called me at work to tell me that Peggy wasn't moving her lower half of her body. After a long drawn out process of overnight stays at the emergency center, we found out that she had slipped a disc and steroids were not helping and her only option was to be put to sleep or have surgery. It was devastating because the surgery was MY only option in my heart, but it cost me over $3000. Luckily, I hadn't done my taxes the past three or four years and I just so happen to have gotten my checks in and it pretty much paid for the whole thing. God works in mysterious ways, doesn't He? After some months of TLC, Peggy got to her old self. We just have to be very careful when picking her up and she's not allowed to use stairs.

4) I LOVE LOVE LOVE to travel and go on vacation! I just started going on REAL REAL vacations in 2006. Josh and I took our first vacation together. We went on a cruise and had the time of our life! haha so cheesy, but so true! So we pretty much immediately started planning for another trip. We took a mini trip to San Antonio with Josh's son, which was great! Then, we went on another cruise a year later. Currently on my vacation calendar is a trip to Cancun with Josh and some of his friends in May. Then, in September, I'm taking Mom on her very first real vacation! We are going on a cruise and I am soooooooo excited about it! Since 2006, I can say that I've been to Mexico twice, Jamaica twice, and Grand Cayman twice. :) In the future, I would love to go to both coasts of the US (never been). Alaskan cruise, Mediterranean cruise, Hawaiian cruise... I want to do it all! I want to see the world! :)

5) I love giraffes. I have loved giraffes since junior high, I think, so about 12 years or so. My dad used to do wood work and was making coin banks out of small wooden animals and he had me choose an animal for him to make and I chose the giraffe and loved it so much! Ever since then, I've been casually collecting giraffe things.

6) I love me some electronic gadgets. :) I am such a Nintendo girl. I bought a Wii this Christmas and it has provided much entertainment for me and my family! I recently bought the new Super Mario Smash Brothers Brawl, but haven't had a chance to play it. My favorite things to play on it are the sports (bowling and golf) and Super Mario Galaxy. I can't wait for the Super Mario Kart to come out! I also recently bought an 80GB Microsoft Zune. What a cool little thing! I've been putting tons of music and even movies on there. I need something to distract me when I'm on that plane to Cancun in May! haha It's definitely a nifty gadget. One of my other favorite gadgets is my little HP photo printer that my boyfriend gave me about a year ago as a gift. A great scrapper tool for me. :)

7) I've been casually scrapping for a good ten or so years with my mom and other family members.. just more to have something to do when they scrap. BUT-- I've only been an avid scrapper with my own scrapping supplies for 1 year and 4 months. I remember this because I went to GASC (scrap convention) in 2006 with my mom and sister. This was in June and I thought it would be cool to do a very simple album of my first cruise that I was about to take that September. After I got home from the cruise and saw my pictures, I started to want to make the album, of course. It went from "simple" to "OHHH LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!" and in December, I told Josh: "That's it. I'm going to start scrapbooking. And not just every once in a while with mom. I mean REALLY scrapbooking. I'm buying a desk, I'm buying supplies, the whole SHABANG!" And so I did! :) Now I scrap with my mom all the time and it's probably my favorite part of my week when I get to go over there. It has definitely brought me closer with her and even a little closer to my scrapper sister who lives in Illinois. I think it's crazy that some people thing that if you don't have kids, what's the point of scrapping? I do it because it's fun and I love that I will have something to remember the big and small moments of my life and maybe even be able to share it with my FUTURE kids. I may not have kids now, but I still have stuff to scrap about. Me, my dog, Josh, my friends, my family, my vacations, my favorite color, WHATEVER I WANT. That's the beauty of it.

4 comments:

Sherri said...

thanks for sharing these facts about yourself....the wii is pretty fun isn't it. Even us old ladies have fun playing it (tee hee)

FlipFlop Mom said...

Your facts were AWESOME!! They were well written out instead of these one sentence answers!!! LOVE IT!!

Now.. you would LOVE my son.. he would play you in all Nintendo games... He's addicted to them.. YIKES!! and he does well!! sometimes TO well.. Ü

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a lot to read! Love your outfit for work! ;) Love your dog too, she looks so cute! Nice blog!

Brook said...

I love all of those great facts Amber. We have a lot in common. I was a bartender waitress while I was going to college to be a teacher too and my pup at the time was a cute peke name Ping!